Saturday, March 17, 2007

Fool's Tools

I was wondering where those cap n' bells came from on court jesters and learned that it is a sort of upgrade from a full-on donkey/ass costume... the three pointed hat standing in for the two ears and tail. And then I remembered the fool's... what? Wand? Cane? Scepter? I wasn't sure and then found it described as a marotte, or mock scepter. This of course standing in ludicrous contrast to the king's actual scepter.

In the absence of feudalism and kings, we have tramps

3 Comments:

Anonymous John Pierson said...

Yes, the Corporate cleanly pressed suit with tailored pants, stiff tie and polished shoes is replaced with my favorite: stretched and faded t-shirt, a deadman's large suit jacket, wornout second hand shoes with toes that pointly ever-so-slightly upwards, and baggy pants tucked into mismatched socks.

Oh! That's me!

1:26 PM  
Blogger evandebacle said...

I can't help but think that the pointed jester's cap is also meant to resemble the crown.

9:04 AM  
Blogger Connor said...

What the hell??? I totally saved that post as a draft, wasn't meant to post it yet... I had more to say! I thought the cap looked like a crown too!!!

9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home