Tuesday, April 03, 2007

So I am interested in a VERY IMPORTANT fool in history. The fool for love. To that end, I offer this, the lyrics to Ike and Tina Turner's hit, "Fool in Love." Creepy even without the backstory. The idea of being a 'fool for love' sanitizes a painful and familiar state. Though hopefully, most of us will avoid the physical scars.
Fool in Love, Tina Turner

There’s something on my mind
Wont somebody please, please tell me what’s wrong

You’re just a fool, you know you’re in love
You’ve got to face it to live in this world
You take the good along with the bad
Sometimes you’re happy and sometimes you’re sad
You know you love him, you can’t understand
Why he treats you like he do when he’s such a good man

He’s got me smiling when I should be ashamed
Got me laughing when my heart is in pain
Oh no, I must be a fool
Cause I do anything you ask me to

Without my man I don’t wanna live
You think I’m lying but I’m telling you like it is
He’s got my nose open and that’s no lie
And I, I’m gonna keep him satisfied

A wave of action speaks louder than words
The truest thing that I ever heard
I trust my man and all that he do
And I, and I do anything you ask me to


Two free tickets and a kiss from Ryan Walters to the first person who can tell me what "He's got my nose open and that's no lie" means. Ryan, you don't mind, do you?

7 Comments:

Blogger Dina said...

Um...as Ryan Walters' long-time girlfriend, do I get a say in this? May I suggest Dean Evans in place of my own fool that I love?

11:48 AM  
Blogger evandebacle said...

Sorry Dina, but I'm gonna stop by for my reward.

Exhibit A: From Urban Dictionary there are 2 definitions: 1. "an older African-Americanism for being in love" and 2. "'70's slang; to be sexually aroused."

Exhibit B: More academically, from "Rappin' and Stylin' out: Communication in Urban Black America" by Thomas Kochman. Review author[s]: Edith A. Folb
Language, Vol. 51, No. 1 (Mar., 1975), pp. 243-247, to have one's nose open is not simply to be in love, but to be victimized by it.

Exhibit C: More from academia and Michigan St. professor Geneva Smitherman and her paper "African-American English: From The Hood to the Amen Corner":

"Now, slaving and racism notwithstanding, a lot of black talk in the semantic realm has nothing to do with race, but with everyday common experiences that happen to black people just as to white people. My favorite expression in this category is “the nose open.” You can also say, “she got his nose,” or, “he got her nose,” or, “somebody got a nose job,” all of which refers to a person being vulnerably in love—so openly in love that they can be manipulated or exploited. In this context I can’t resist telling again what is probably my favorite story. A few years ago when Marion Barry, the mayor of Washington DC, was having his drug trouble and was being followed by the FBI and wiretapped and videotaped, there was a scene where he was in a hotel room with his ex-girl friend Rasheeda Moore. He was admiring this watch she had on, a Rolex or something, and she said that her new boyfriend had given it to her. And he says, “Oh, I guess you got his nose open, huh?” The FBI watching the videotape thought they were talking about snorting cocaine."

Pucker up!

3:05 PM  
Blogger evandebacle said...

Wait, two tickets? Does Ryan have to be my date?

7:09 PM  
Anonymous John Pierson said...

Good detective work, super fool, this helps these lyrics sit even closer to a romantic fool.

7:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks to Evan for disabusing me of the idea that this was some sort of violent turn of phrase (get it? get it? "dis-ABUSE") As for pimping Ryan Walters: Dina, I hear your concern, but Ryan himself has been suspiciously silent on the issue. Maybe you should threaten to "open his nose" in the more literal way.
love,
chloe

11:00 PM  
Blogger Connor said...

evandebacle is right... this is African-American slang (insert editorial finger quotes where-ever). It's in a lot of blues songs and is famously bungled by the Rolling Stones in the their cover of Bobby Womack's "it's all over now"... singing "She hurt my nose open, and that's no lie" instead of "She had my nose open..." The idea that the definition is not just 'being in love' but that there is danger associated is where I see the evolutionary link to "being led around by the nose"... OK!

10:54 PM  
Blogger Rhinoplasty Los Angeles said...

Approximately how much does it cost to have a nosejob? I know that price will vary but I had my nose broken and need bridge work. Any ideas? Guestimate? Range?

1:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home