Wednesday, June 13, 2007

A Fool For Love.

It's not a huge leap, I know, but the first image that comes to mind when I think of a fool is one of a person dumbstruck by love.

The kind of love that makes fools out of us is the not "till death do us part" love; not the "I'd like you to meet my parents" kind of love. The kind of love that makes a person a fool belongs to the infatuation family. Perfectly intelligent, sane people turn foolish in the presence of desire. This kind of love burns brightly for a while, but rarely generates a long-standing committment. This love is more "grab," less "caress," more "booty call," less "joint checking account."

If you're looking for a fool, look for a person with a crush.

When we have crushes, we ignore reality. The object of our affection becomes perfect; they surely possess none of the heinous character defects our last lover possessed. They smell sweet, they make no mistakes, they always look devastating. As long as we desire them, they can do no wrong.

And that's foolish.

The person you desire is riddled with as many flaws as you are; it's probably one of the main reasons you're attracted to them in the first place. No one looks perfect all the time, no one smells good all the time, no one lives a faultless life. But when we desire, we (foolishly) forget.

It feels good.

We do it, again and again. Because even though it's brutal and ephemeral, there's something delicious about being a fool for that brand of love. There's something wonderful about writing bad poetry for a girl or dressing up for a chance encounter with the man you've been thinking about all week. It's foolish to live in a fantasy world when there are so many real-world moments that require your attention. When we're in the grip, though, nothing can be done for us.

I have walked miles for foolish love. I have betrayed myself for it. I have given in to it and lamented later, but would never trade a moment of the foolish behavior.

My name is Mary; I am a fool for love.

2 Comments:

Blogger evandebacle said...

"Love has reasons which Reason cannot understand."
- Blaise Pascal

10:23 AM  
Blogger Dina said...

You and me both, my dear; love was the first thing that sprung to my mind as well.

8:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home